Monday, October 12, 2009

Rep. Zoe Lofgren responds to plea for action in Sudan with H.R. 2139

From Rev. Jerry Drino, Hope with Sudan:

Dear Mr. Drino:
Thank you for contacting me urging support for increased global humanitarian assistance.  I wholeheartedly agree with you that global poverty, which often results in hunger, is a pressing issue that we need to do more to help solve.  I appreciate your advocacy on this issue.

I am happy to inform you that, in part due to your advocacy, I have decided to co-sponsor H.R. 2139, the Initiating Foreign Assistance Reform Act of 2009.  This bill would require President Obama to develop both a
comprehensive strategy for global development, as well as a system for evaluating the effectiveness of foreign assistance.  The bill has been referred to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. Although I do not sit on this committee, I will do my part to encourage the passage of this legislation.

Read Jerry’s letter and Congresswoman Lofgren’s response here.

No comments: