Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blog Entry - Update #1 from Robin Denney in Sudan

From Robin Denney 24 October - Juba, Capitol of Southern Sudan
I arrived in Juba yesterday, greeted by Bishop Alapayo, and two others, John from the Kampala office, and Simon Peter from the development arm of the church. Everyone has been so welcoming. The bishops of Sudan have been gathered for training in Juba for the last two weeks, so I got to be here for the last two days, and meet the bishops. It has been a wonderful opportunity, having most of them in the same place. I met with the Archbishop and Bishop Alapayo today, and we discussed the details of the assignment. Which will be based in Juba, creating an stratigic plan for the establishment of an agricultural department for the whole province, and begining some projects in different diocses, begining with Rumbek. The rest of the day today, I've been catching each of the bishops for a chat about their diocese and the challenges and gifts they have in the way of agriculture. It has been facinating. Despite all they are facing, there is real positive energy here, among the bishops, and a sence of hope. I have spent the day between overwhelmingly excited about working here, and overwhelmed at the scope of what I am being asked to do. But I was able to speak frankly with the Archbishop about expectations, and what I think can be realistically accomplished in a year. He is very committed to agriculture work, and the other bishops are very pleased to have me. Despite the challenges, I am excited by the energy I have expereinced among the bishops these two days, and I am excited about this job... really amazing job. I spent time today talking with another expat who has lived here many years. He reminds me that we never feel prepared for this work, and that when it comes down to it, no one is prepared to face the challenges Southern Sudan is facing, but something is better than nothing. It is supper time, so I have to run!
love to you all, Robin

No comments: